1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekins-when to process them?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jenny_kap, May 9, 2011.

1. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    I just got 33 pekin ducks 2 days ago. It is the first time i have this kind of ducks. When are they ready to be processed? How big do they grow? For now, i have a 100 lbs bag of 20% protein food (this is what they gave me from the store and said this is what i need for them). I hope they don't grow as fast as the Cornish X chicken do. I see they eat the same tho.

2. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    We got our pekins last year in March and by the end of summer we were processing them, but did most of them early fall. It was just a weather preference for us due to the heat. They get big quick.

3. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    Thank you. This is what i was thinking too, about 6 months... I don't know how big mine will grow, because, after i finish the food that i bought, i'll make my own food, cracked corn, wheat and sunflower seeds. I'll feed them fresh chopped alfalfa too.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Between 6 1/2 to 10 weeks, when they are in full feather. If you miss that wait 10 more weeks until they are in full feather again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by