Pekins with bad Legs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JohnTheDuck, Jun 19, 2010.

1. JohnTheDuck

JohnTheDuck Hatching

Jun 19, 2010
    My husband has been raising 4 Pekin ducks and 4 Muscoves and 4 Rouens in our fairly large bathtub so that he can eventually set them free on our Pond. We have thick rubber mats on the floor to make sure that it is not hard or uncomfortable for them. He feeds them twice a day and is constantly watering them. They are all about 5 weeks old. We have been them special food from the Poultry feed store. We have noticed that 2 of the Pekins are not walking on their 'feet' but look as if they are crawling around on their legs. One seems to have one leg longer than the other. I feel really bad for it as at times it seems to pivot around in cirles when it tries to stand and falls to the right a lot. I don't remeber this being the case 2 weeks ago but honestly my husband has been caring for them. The Pekin seemed to do worse after swimming. In addition when one of the other Pekins tries to walk it seems to step on its own foot and stumble as both feet turn inwards a lot.

I have read on this site that the feed can have harmful ingredients so I will check this when I get home. We contacted a Vets office about the problem but he is on vacation until next week. We bought some Niacin to add to the feed after doing a web search on sites like this. We have also added Calcium to the food since I have read that this can be a problem too. I would give them antibiotics to see if this helped if I knew which one to get. I was wondering if anyone else has suggestions. We will try anything to help them. It breaks my heart to see these two ducks unable to walk properly. I fear that the will not do well when they are eventually released. My husband did raise 12 Pekins without any complications a couple of years ago and we take care of them on our pond year round. We were hoping to add to their family as they will not sit on their eggs when laid.
    Thank you.

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'm no expert but I can't help wondering if they don't need some greens. One of my Pekins is handicapped, one of her feet turns in (pidgeon toed) and she will not step down on the back of her foot/leg so she limps, however she's almost 9 months old and has no trouble keeping up with the rest of the ducks. She was born with her leg/foot like that. With you saying that your's have just started behaving this way makes me think their diet is lacking something. Do they get outside for fresh air, sunshine and grass at all?

Wish I had some answers for you.

Michelle

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Feeding twice per day is not enough. They cannot absorb all the minerals/vitamins and calories needed in two settings. They need to eat 24 hours per day while growing. I think they lack nutrients and energy as noted in the weakness after swimming. They also need small grit or builder's sand so they can absorb the food properly. Start giving them food and water 24 hours and they should improve.

4. JohnTheDuck

JohnTheDuck Hatching

Jun 19, 2010
    Thank you both for your advice. I made my husband read the replies and then did some more internet research too. We will be speaking with the vet this week. I checked the food type that the Hatchery sold us - it says Layer feed!! I will be getting the correct feed this afternoon hopefully. I cut up some fresh grass last night and put it on the food. My husband has been filling up a large container with food and leaving it in the tub for them to eat from. We added Niacin to their water also. After reading several other threads I think I will separate the worst Pekin into a box of it's own with straw temporarily to make sure it can get to the food and water with a struggle. I'm grateful for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by