Pekins?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sierraboots, Apr 4, 2018.

1. sierraboots

sierraboots Chirping

Mar 28, 2018
    Iowa
    Are these pekins? They came from a straight run at TSC and are about 2 months old. I was doing some reading on pekins vs aylesburys and I don’t so much mind what they are but the one with the pinker bill has gotten a lot paler in color in the last couple days and I wanted to make sure it wasn’t an issue. Also is the easiest way to distinguish sex by their voice? The one with the pink bill sounds like an actual quack while the other sounds more high pitched and most the time doesn’t make noise at all 5F3D3026-7FAF-4317-9AC3-3F8CBAFF0B44.jpeg

CayugaJana, KikisGirls and Julie Birb like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I have never heard of TSC having Aylesbury ducklings not saying it couldn't happen though but I think your cuties are probably Pekin.

Can I rec something, that chicken waterer your using is not adequate for ducks, they need to be able to dip their heads into a bowl or bucket so the can keep their nares cleaned out. They can get clogged up and even choke since they need a lot of water to eat their feed.

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm this will help you determine sex.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  3. sierraboots

sierraboots Chirping

Mar 28, 2018
    Iowa
    Thank you this helps a ton! I will change their waterer, still freezing temps here in Iowa but they will have a pool soon as well.. as long as we can get past this weekends snow it looks like we’re home free after that :)

chickenE, KikisGirls and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    You never know what you get with tsc, but probably pekin. And yes, the voice is the easiest way. You probably have a male and a female. Females quack and are super loud. Males peep for longer and then have a quiet, raspy voice. Super easy to tell once you get the hang of it. Eventually he'll get a curl on his tail too.

5. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    How old are Pekins when they turn white?

KikisGirls likes this.
  6. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    After many attempts to find the perfect water dish (and many purchases later) I finally found a dog waterer with a deep well that isn't big enough for them to play or splash in so it stays clean. It stores a half gallon of water which gets them through the day. It's called the LeBistro-Auto-Gravity Pet Waterer - found it at Walmart. They have several sizes but I went with the smallest one because I just don't want them swimming/playing in their drinking water.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I looked it up, nice find!!

CrystaBub, sierraboots and KikisGirls like this.
  8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Something like this?
    Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 8.53.24 AM.png
    This is a great idea.

9. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Probably pekin. Could the one with the pale bill be buff? I have some buffs and there bills look similar, but again it is probably pekin. The one with the pink bill is most likely a female, and the other a male. For your question about the pink bill...I only know of bills turning green(which is fine). Hopefully someone will know what is wrong.:hugs:thumbsup

sierraboots likes this.
  10. Duckhatcher123

Duckhatcher123 Chirping

Apr 6, 2018
    I raise pekin ducks and those are defently pekin ducks

sierraboots likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: