Pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlady81, May 25, 2010.

1. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I got 6 pekin ducklings today and they are close to 3 weeks old. I was wondering if they need a heat lamp or will they be ok at night without one? I have them in a brooder box with a thick layer of shavings. They have alot of room but the box is outside. Temps are mid 50's at night but closer to high 80's during the day. Also they were from someone that didnt take wonderful care of them and they seem to be scared of me. How can I get them to want to be around me? I heard ducks are very social with people alot more then chickens but these duckling seem so frightened. When I got them home they were dirty and smelly so I put them in a warm water bath and they had a blast playing in the water and cleaning themselves! I think I had a better time watching them to be honest!!! Does anyone own pekins and I will take all the advice I can get for these little ones. I want to make them comfortable in thier new home :)

2. grundail01

grundail01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    You might still want to use a brooder light for night time heat if they are not in the best of shape and i've been told ducks go crazy for peas(fresh or thawed)

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I agree you will probably need some heat for the night time. If they are three weeks old I would imagine they should be kept around 70 to 75 degrees and then drop them 5 degrees each week. If it is 80 - they should be okay during the day time. We are waiting for some pictures.... : )

4. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I will have to take some pictures of them. Working tonight and tomorrow night, or rather, yesterday and today. How ever you want to look at it..lol
    They are so adorable with there little yellow fluff!

5. AmyinNC

AmyinNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    I spent time holding mine each day so they get more comfortable around me. It didn't take too long, and they would follow me around.

They love treats, and like someone else mentioned.....peas are one of their favorites. Since they are still small, I would let the peas thaw and be sure to mash them really well.

I'm still new at all this myself, but that is what has worked for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by