pekins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cochinrooster, Jun 10, 2011.

1. cochinrooster

cochinrooster Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I am currantly obssesed with feather footed breeds. But my favorites and what im currantly looking for are LF cochins, bantam cochins or Pekins. But i have a few questions about pekins, first what are they? is pekin just another name for bantam cochin? i am really interested in these two breeds so any info is greatly appreciated. I also would like to know of any good breeders around central florida if anybody knows any. Thanks for any input [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Yes, Pekin is another name for bantam Cochins. I believe it is in the UK where they call them Pekins.

3. cochinrooster

May 18, 2011
    ok that is what i was thinking but wasent sure

4. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    nearly half of what I have read states that pekins are a distinct, true bantam breed, not a bantam cochin... the rest of what I have read says, like punky rooster, that they are just two names for the same breed... it get a little confusing...

5. cochinrooster

May 18, 2011
    i thought for sure it was just another name for bantam cochin..... anybody got any info on how loud,often they crow?

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    v.cyr :

nearly half of what I have read states that pekins are a distinct, true bantam breed, not a bantam cochin... the rest of what I have read says, like punky rooster, that they are just two names for the same breed... it get a little confusing...

I think it's something like the "English" Orpintons and the "American" Orpingtons. So technically the same breed, but, being bred to a different standard. I could be wrong though, wouldn't surprise me.​

7. cochinrooster

May 18, 2011
    Come on guys nobody else has any more information for me?????

8. ccm

ccm New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
  9. dobchookmom

dobchookmom New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    South Africa
    My pekin rooster will crow hourly through the night if i leave the outside light on, when its off he crows at dawn and then throughgout the day, depending on whats going on and how protective he is feeling of his territory! Love him to bits he is a snuggle bug!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by