pekinXrunners :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roocrazy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i dont know about this, every single female duck i have had has gone broody, and with this mixture, im thinking less likley.

2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    What do you mean "I'm thinking less likely."? I don't understand, but then again, I'm barely awake. [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I think the intended was that both pekin and runner ducks are not known for their broodiness.

I currently have two runners showing signs, sitting on their nest for a good part of the day- they both have very high nests- so cute to see them snuggled down on their eggs.

4. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had both pekins AND runners in my care go broody more than once.

and both were always abov average mothers, one of my runners infact, was better than my mallard mix hens I used to have.

now most of the time if a "non-broody" duck does go broody, they can get "bored", again I had ANOTHER runner, who used to sit constantly, however she only sat for 21-24 days, and all of a sudden, see ya eggs! so I always had to watch her like a hawk and pull the eggs and incubate them for the remaining few days myself.

the one time this particular runner did sit out a clutch of mallard mix eggs she was a proud new momma and very protective.

in terms of can they breed and produce young?, yes they can.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have several pekins and rouens and 1 runner duck. I don't think there were any who did not go broody at least once this past spring/summer. Maybe 1 of the 5 Pekin girls did not go broody, but I really think all of them did at least once. I guess my birds didn't get the memo either that they aren't supposed to be broody.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I can't figure out what the question is, but I have to say that Pekin crossed with Runner is a really bizarre cross. I can't imagine to what purpose.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:They are actually very pretty. I've deleted my pics of the ones I'd hatched, but they looked like runners.

8. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    at least its not as weird as a chihuahua mixed with a great dane

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    There was another member who crossed a high quality runner with a jumbo Pekin. The result was what might be considered a pet quality runner. Stands up straight like a runner, but is more bulky.

10. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:i got the eggs from a swap meet and that's what im guessing they are because they are a largish medium white duck and they do have some fawn splashing in their feathers and one hen has a fawn crown.
    but ya i guess it really wasnt a question but i really hope these girls will sit but i have my doubts with this certain cross, yet again every hen ive had at my house has been broody so maybe i might just have some luck? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by