pellet food versus crumble

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Theicequeen, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    I was getting crumble and i went to Tractor supply the other day and i got two bags of the pellets but i am not sure if they are eating it or not, will they eat it or should i go get the crumble?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Are you feeding bantams or large fowl? Or another type of poultry?

Our large fowl birds and ducks (when we had them years ago) like the pellets. When we had bantams, they liked the crumbles.

3. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I don't know either i just switched and I stayed with the crumble because that is what they are used too....

4. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    You won't know until you try. When I saw my chickens eating down something as big as cat food, and dog food pieces, I began buying pellets. They eat it just fine, and I feel like less is wasted.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:If you have a tube style feeder, pellets are nice since they are bigger and heavier and "drop" easier. When I feed crumbles, I have to jiggle the feeder occasionally to make sure it all drops. It's even worse with laying mash. Pellets don't take as long to eat as crumbles so confined chickens will eat quicker and become bored.

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I like the pellets. It seems there's alot less waste. Both my large fowl and bantams eat it just fine.

7. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    my birds are regular sized chickens, they are not small like the bantams.

I am worried that they wont eat and i wont notice until they are bad off, and i dont want that. I see them picking at it but not neccessarily eating it

8. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    My birds were always messy with the pellets they would literally be a 12 inch circle around the feeder with the pellets...With the crumbles their maybe a little bit of it sprinkled around the feeder.

9. gjfarm

gjfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Montana
    My birds and I like the crumbles. A happy medium between mash and pellets.

10. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    I have always used crumble but now addded pellets. My hens seem to like the crumble as I have seen them swipe out the pellets (onto the floor) to get to crumble.

Has anyone forced there hens to eat one type versus another by only providing a certain type?

Today, I have removed all crumble and replaced with only pellets. I am out of crumble and only have pellets now. They waste so much crumble. At least pellets I can pick up off of the floor and place the pellets back into the feeding apparatus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by