Pellet Gun for predators??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by redhen, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi, i was wondering if a pellet gun would kill anything?? a really high powered one...*what kinds are the high powered ones?* we have got to kill this weasel...and we dont have a real gun...can we use a pellet gun? thanks for any help, Wendy *who HATES weasels!*

2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Pellet gun might work for a weasel, but I wouldn't try it for a bear or mountain lion.

The good thing about the pellet gun is that it is discrete. Very quiet.

Rufus

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    DH shot a possum in the head once with a pellet gun and killed it. A weasel is smaller, so it would probably work. Personally, I think that 22's and shotguns make better varmit guns. DH only used the pellet gun on the possum because it was handy, and he did hit it just right (in the ear).

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    there are some "high end" pellet guns that would but for the most part common guns are useless. you're also dealing with a very small target.
    if you can't borrow a 22 or small shotgun trapping might work better.

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:lol...[​IMG] i'll have to remember not to shoot at a bear with it....i imagine it'd just get it angry at me....[​IMG]....so, you think it would kill a weasel??

6. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Be sure, if you live in town, that there isn't an ordinance that prohibits using pellet gun. I know in some towns, even really small ones, have ban any type of gun that has the potential to be used as a weapon.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:thanks i'll check on that!

8. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    A pellet gun will kill a weasel but like flopshot said, it's a small target. Brands like Gamo and RWS are the more powerful models available but do get pricey. Your run of the mill Crossman or Daisey will not do the trick.

Bill

9. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Silly me, I read your sig. and with 3 large dogs, 6 cats and pot belly pigs, you must live in the country....lol:oops:

10. mazdacrzy

mazdacrzy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    Winder, Georgia
    A crossman will work or any pellet gun that you can "pump" it more than once. I had a crossman that was deadly. The only drawback is don't try to shoot from too far a distance. A 22 would still be ideal, and they don't make that much noise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by