Pellet Liter (animal bedding)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FaerieChicken, Apr 14, 2017.

1. FaerieChicken

FaerieChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    Central Coast California
    [​IMG]

Anyone use this, if so what are your pros or cons?

1 person likes this.
  2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just started using them and I like them so far. The original plan was to use a cat litter scoop and scoop the poop out daily but I haven't done that LOL but the poop is easy enough to see to do it so they could stay cleaner.

I bought 2 bags of equine pine pellets from TSC. it's pretty cheap and lasts a while.

And when they break down, the chickens love dust bathing in them.

Only con I can see is it might not be that comfortable on their feet or that warm for winter. For winter I think I'll switch back to pine shavings

3. FaerieChicken

FaerieChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    Central Coast California
    Yes I thought the same thing, as they break down, the chooks can scratch through it easily, and bathe of course, but also the poo would sift through much better and perhaps end up coated in the fine shavings. also, they seem to be absorbent as well, where moisture is concerned and dries out quickly~

4. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I have used of them and I like them. If you want the bedding fluffy to begin with just went down the pellets and they will turn into sawdust. The sawdust works well in compost. I have changed to pine shavings now. But I have put some of the wood pellets in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by