Pellets for Bantams?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Snozzle, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I was just wondering if it is ok to feed my bantams the same pellets as my bigger chickens. I was worried about chocking because of the smaller esophagus. I wanted to switch their feed, because it seems like the more balanced and less mess solution to scratch, plus I switched feed stores and they have a better selection. Thank you for any input on this

2. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    I feed my silkies, bantam cochins and all my LF chickens Pellets. Less mess and noones ever had a problem. They waste the crumbles more in my opinion but if your worried about it just use Layer Crumbles.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The following pertains to all but seramas, since I don't know anything about seramas and they are the smallest chicken:

I have had different kinds of bantams and they all ate layer pellets fine. I give them as treats as I mix my feed, and they liked them. This includes d'Uccles and Nankins, who are quite small.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My smallest bantams are Silver Sebrights and they eat pellets just fine. I have noticed the All Flock pellets from Nutrena seem to be smaller than some pelleted feed I've seen... And All Flock is what I use for everybody.

Heck, even some of my chicks only a week old have investigated pellets and swallowed a couple without choking!

5. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I guess the pellets I am feeding aren't any bigger then the mealworms they get as treats. I just worry about them, they are my first minis[​IMG]

6. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    My bantams can swallow anything the same size or smaller than a whole kernel of corn - any pellets I've ever seen made for chickens were more than small enough to be eaten by most bantams. However, you must wait longer to switch them from a starter/grower crumble to the pellets. The only problems I've run into with bantams is the chicks eating crumbled starter. I need to grind it into a mash for the first four days to a week before they can eat the crumbles.

7. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Well these guys are adults, so no worries there, I just never had minis and that was just something that came to mind when I filled their feeder. They seem to be doing just fine with everything and are eating like little piggies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by