pellets or crumble?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smarquis86, Aug 27, 2011.

1. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    what is better pellets or crumble I'm currently feeding my ladies crumble. i was just wondering.

2. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Actually on here you will get VERY different answers--It depends on personal preference..which brands you use...what stage you are feeding...etc..etc..Me personally I have only fed Purina Crumbles...I did research for almost one year before getting chicks and felt that was what was best for my brood. Since I have had my brood I have watched, observed and talked to other chicken lovers to get other opinions and compare my hens to others--still sol on Purina..But that is up to you--do your research and decide what is best for you--for me I am staying with Purina--unless I find another brand or typ becomes better suited for them and that is what they need--just like you would do for your children...Hope this helps...

3. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    crumble is better i give my chickens crumble corn and all the table scraps

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Mine stayed on crumbles until they were about 1 1/2 years old. I changed to pellets because it seemed that the crumbles just seemed to be more and more full of dust and fines. The girls actually seemed happy to make the switch and be able to get the larger pieces.

5. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    typically you will get less waste with pellets, so they're a little more cost-effective. i use crumbles until the birds are big enough for pellets (and i supplement with table scraps, garden weeds, etc).

6. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Pellets for big chickens and crumbles for bantam and big, but definitely for bantams. Some of those pellets are just to big for a bantam to eat.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    It's a matter of personal preference.

I have a mixed flock of LF and Bantams as well as Guineas, so I always buy crumbles.

[​IMG]

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I switch to pellets recently and although I think they like the crumble better,the pellets are much better as far as waste.

9. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    thank you all for the help

10. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I do want to add-that I do supplement my girls with good scraps from my family dinner table--vegs--fruit--oats, left over scrambled eggs...lol...ect..but the main source is their feed.. I have considered once older maybe they need pellets--but they all are still young (all under year old)..So I still reseach (just like I would do for my human family) and change and fix when needed for my brood...I do not have much experience this is just my experience with my own "family". And they are doing "MARVELIS" LOL

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by