Pellets or Crumbles?

AndyL

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
CT
Hi, being very new to everything chicken (except eggs and eatin'
smile.png
) can you eggsperts tell me the difference between feeding chicks starter pellets and starter crumbles?

A local feedstore employee told me some folks think that crumbles get wasted and not completely eaten. So, I am just curious.

The advantages/disadvantages of both or your own personal preferences?

Thanks for your time!
Andy.

Hi Andy!
When my chickens were young I fed starter/grower crumbles, because I feel they are easier for them to eat. Once the girls were ready for layer feed it was pellets all the way. Much less waste.
I don't buy the argument that some chickens don't like pellets. Let them get hungry enough and they'll like pellets just fine.

I agree with Gritsar that pellets yield less waste. My personel preference is pellets. My chickens don't seem to mind.

I just switched our flock to pellets two days ago. Already I can tell there is less waste. There was always a lot of powder in the bottom of the feeder that I would have to dump every few days with the crumbles. I do have the babies on crumbles because I too feel it is easier for them to eat than pellets. The first time I filled the feeders with pellets for our adult birds they acted like they were getting a treat! They loved them! I think it reminded them of the dog's food (which they will steal any time they can). I have read posts from people who said their chickens did not like them, but agree if they are hungry they will eat it.

Back
Top Bottom