Pellets or Crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AndyL, Apr 26, 2009.

1. AndyL

AndyL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    CT
    Hi, being very new to everything chicken (except eggs and eatin' [​IMG] ) can you eggsperts tell me the difference between feeding chicks starter pellets and starter crumbles?

A local feedstore employee told me some folks think that crumbles get wasted and not completely eaten. So, I am just curious.

The advantages/disadvantages of both or your own personal preferences?

Thanks for your time!
    Andy.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Andy!
    When my chickens were young I fed starter/grower crumbles, because I feel they are easier for them to eat. Once the girls were ready for layer feed it was pellets all the way. Much less waste.
    I don't buy the argument that some chickens don't like pellets. Let them get hungry enough and they'll like pellets just fine.

3. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree with Gritsar that pellets yield less waste. My personel preference is pellets. My chickens don't seem to mind.

4. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I just switched our flock to pellets two days ago. Already I can tell there is less waste. There was always a lot of powder in the bottom of the feeder that I would have to dump every few days with the crumbles. I do have the babies on crumbles because I too feel it is easier for them to eat than pellets. The first time I filled the feeders with pellets for our adult birds they acted like they were getting a treat! They loved them! I think it reminded them of the dog's food (which they will steal any time they can). I have read posts from people who said their chickens did not like them, but agree if they are hungry they will eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by