Pellets or Crumbles???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by new2chickens, Mar 3, 2008.

1. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    I was at Tractor Supply Co and picked up a feeder (gotta take it back..I think I grabbed the wrong bottom!!), waterer, and feed. We already had scratch so I picked up a 50lb bag of 16% layer pellets. I noticed they also sell 50lb bag of 16% layer crumbles. I compared the two tags and they appear to be the same except one is crumbles and the other is pellet.
    Whats the difference? Is one better? Or is it chicken preference??

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Just different shape.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I feed pellets, because I feel the crumbles have too much waste. There is so much ground up mush left in the bottom of the bag that the chickens don't eat.

It's a personal preference thing. Some say their chickens won't eat pellets...

4. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    My littlest of my bantys like crumble but everyone gets pellets

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Less waste with pellets. But, it's sometimes hard to get birds to actually eat the pellets if they've only had crumble. I usually just use crumble unless one is obviously cheaper than the other on special.

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I have fed mine both crumbles and pellets. I've noticed that the crumbles disappear faster than the pellets, and also that my hens don't eat as fast when they have pellets. when i gave them crumbles, they would gobble them up so fast they'd start to choke, gasp, and sneeze. I decided crumbles were not worth losing a chicken, so I buy the pellets now. IMHO they are better than crumbles. [​IMG]

7. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Awesome! Well I guess I will stick with the pellets!

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Most of my chickens will not eat the pellets because they were brought up on crumbles, I guess.

There is so much ground up mush left in the bottom of the bag that the chickens don't eat.

I do not waste any of the feed residue. I take this fine residue along with the crushed crumble residue at the bottom of the feeders and every couple of weeks, I mix it with about a gallon of Buttermilk and a cup of plain yogurt. I feed this to my chickens. They love it and the feed doesn't go to waste. Also, I use a trough feeder with a curved lip and this prevents the chickens from scooping the crumbles and tossing it out.

I was warned by a long-time poultry keeper to be careful feeding only pellets. He'd had a bird eat too many pellets in a sitting leading to its death.​

9. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I prefer layer mash that you buy at the feed mills where they grind and mix the feed. I've fed all three, and found the flock prefers the layer mash, and is also 18% protein which helps keep the flock heathier from the constant stress from laying. I have also noticed alot less wasted feed, with the layer mash.

bigzio

10. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    My large hen and my Serama bantams will only eat pellets if I break them into smaller pellets which is quite time consuming, so I feed them layer crumbles. Since treats aren't really a good idea every day, but they expect them every day, I break the pellets into smaller pieces and hand feed to them. They think they are getting treats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by