1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pellets or Crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Up-the-Creek, May 6, 2011.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I buy my feed at Southern States and I have been feeding their medicated chick starter for about two months,..I want to change over to their grower/finisher because the chick starter is so fine that a lot gets wasted. The issue is that the grower/finisher is in pellet form only and I was wondering if my bantams can eat the pellets or not? This is the first bantams I have raised so I am not sure whether they can eat them or not safely. Anyone else feed pellets to their bantams???

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Mine eat pellets, no problem.

3. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Thank you JNKC!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Just remember to keep them on the medicated feed once they are outside (no longer in a brooder) for at least two weeks, if not 3 or 4 weeks. The medication, Amprolium, does no good at all in helping them build resistance to the cocci protozoa in the ground if they are never exposed to it.

Trust me - I lost 10 birds really quickly, within 3 days, when I changed a batch of chicks over to regular grower/finisher when they were still in their ginormous brooder. Their grow-out coops wasn't ready yet, but I changed them over at 8 weeks. They were in the brooder another 3 weeks before I put them out into their grow out coop...

Just sayin' I wouldn't like what happened to my flock happen to your babies!

5. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the advice! The babies I am talking about are over two months old and has been out of the brooder for quite awhile. I just wasn't sure if bantams could handle a pellet,..but apparently they can because I bought a bag today and they are eating the pellets just fine. I keep all my chicks on medicated feed at least until they are two months old,...then I find the grower/finisher to just do more for them,...especially less waste since the medicated chick starter is so finely ground. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by