Pellets or crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TnChickHen, Jul 13, 2011.

1. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    Which do you prefer for feed? Pellets or crumbles? Why? I'm not sure which I like better. I've tried both. Crumbles seem to make a bigger mess, but than again, pellets seem to take for ever for them to eat!

2. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I have been feeding crumbles all along. I just got some soy free/natural type feed that is pellet. They dont like it. I even soak it and add Kefir and they dont like it.
    So back to Purina Layena crumbles I guess. Im trying to make them healthy, but they dont want to be. The soy free grain I ordered and got today was FULL OF BUGs< so I threw it out. Thats $50 down the drain.

pam in TX

3. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    yuck!! I'm sorry!! That's such a waste. Who did you order it from??? Might be able to get a refund!!! [​IMG]

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Crumbles have worked better for us. Right now we switched and are feeding an organic that is more or less ground grains and it is like a cross between a mash and a crumble. They eat it well but do knock some out trying to pick out their favorite morsels. Fortunately, the others eat it off the floor.

5. Fireman Farmer

Fireman Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    EasternShore of Virginia
    I like the pellets over the crumbles. It seems there is alot less waste...

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am right now trying to switch my girls over from crumbles to pellets and I don't think I am going to have much luck with the pellets. I have watched them try to eat the pellets and if they try to swallow them sideways, of course they won't go down. As as dumb as my girls are, [​IMG] I don't think they are going to figure it out. So for now, I have half the feeder full with crumbles and the other half pellets. The pellets are not moving! [​IMG]

7. fruehter

fruehter New Egg

Mar 18, 2011
    My hens like crumbles over pellets.Its easier for them to eat and they'll eat more.Try swithing brands.

8. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

9. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Kent feed makes a mini pellet for mixed flocks. I like it.

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's the problem with crumbles. All feed starts out pelletized then is ground into crumbles or mash. When they eat crumbles they have the opportunity to pick and choose which bits they want, which is not always the most nutritious. Thay eally need to eat the whole pellet for a balanced diet and they waste a lot less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by