Pellets or crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Orprahlorp, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Orprahlorp

Orprahlorp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2014
    I have 5 month old large breed chickens and have always fed crumbles. Are there pros to feeding pellets?

2. horselover101

horselover101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    I think the only pros to feed them pellets is there's less waste then crumbles! I feed my hens pellets![​IMG]

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I agree. I'm on starter crumbles right now because I have 17 week old pullets and the mess and waste is unbelievable! I can't wait to go back to layer pellets. The girls clean up after themselves when they have pellets. No wasted food left on the ground.

1 person likes this.
  4. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Generally with layer feed there is no difference in the ingredients of pellets or crumbles. The feed I buy starts life as pellets and is then ground into crumbles. Crumbles are made to be delivered by screw conveyors in large layer houses and tend to cause big messes when used in small feeders designed for small flock use.

To eliminate as much waste as possible, feed pellets and keep your feeder at bird chest height or slightly higher. This causes the birds to have to reach a little for their feed and it makes it more difficult for them to scatter it out on the ground.

1 person likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Grower feeds are crumbles, and layer feeds come either as crumbles, mash, or pellets. When your birds are actually laying eggs, switch to layer pellets. Mary

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    When I fed my chickens the layer crumbles, it seemed like so much of it was on the floor, wasted. So I switched to the pellets a few months ago, and there's virtually no waste. So I like the pellets for my hens.

I even check for wasted pellets under the pine shavings when I clean out the coop, and I never find wasted pellets.

7. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    If you're having waste issues with crumble, it's a FEEDER issue, not a feed issue. The PVC feeders often seen on here will serve up crumble without any waste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by