1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pellets vrs. feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by houseofclucks, May 6, 2007.

1. houseofclucks

houseofclucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I just got back from the feed store and I realized I bought a 50 lbs of feed and not layer pellets that I've been feeding my pullets. Is one type better than the other? If all they had was pellets, will they eat the feed? It looks like sand to me and I don't know if older birds or larger pullets should be on pellets and not feed. It has the same protien content and so forth. Thank you in advance for any answers and opinions!

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    My hen will eat it in any form.

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Are you talking about layer crumbles or mash, or scratch grains?

If layer crumbles or mash, they will be fine. When you buy the pellets next time, mix it 50/50 with the crumbles to get them used to the pellets again.

Mash vs. pellets is a personal choice of owners and/or chickens. Most feed pellets because there is less waste. Others like crumbles because it is easier to mix other stuff into it.

If it is scratch grains, go back to the store and get your pellets. Scratch grains are not a nutritionally balanced diet for chickens.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    crumbles are smashed pellets. Mash is the feed w/o being converted into pellets.

Most feed companies promote that crumbles are best (most surface area to be digested, better digestability). Crumbles or pellets mean each bite the chicken swallows is a complete feed. Mash can be seperated out.

For laying hens try not to change their ration as that can throw them into a molt, free range is less of a problem since they eat a variety of things all day long.

5. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a problem with my crumbles (especially my starter crumbles) just turning to dust; I seem to get a LOT of waste, because once it goes to dust, nothing eats it. Would pellets prevent that? Would the food go to waste in the chickens innards rather than in the pen, if pellets are not as digestible?

6. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Yes, there seems to be a lot of "fines" with crumbles. Because of the size, that is the only thing available for chicks until they reach laying age. Pellets have some fines in them, but not near as much as crumbles.

Some people take the fines and mix them with yogurt or even water and the chickens gobble them up.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I feed and prefer pellets as soon as the birds can eat pellet forms of feed. We get "flock raiser" which is in pellets so that the chicks prior to laying can eat and not waste so much.

As for digestibility, I've butchered birds raised on pellets and crumble after forgetting to withhold feed, and by the time it reaches the gizzard (which we clean and eat), it all looks the same. Drop some water into each type and after some mixing it all looks the same.

8. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We like the layer crumble the best since we mix it in with steamed rice. When we feed our chickens they seem to like crumbles because when you mix the pellets with the steamed rice they will eat the rice and leave some of the pellets where with the crumble it mixes in better with their feed and they eat it all.

9. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My birds refuse to eat the Pellets, so they eat the crumbles. I have to drive an extra 15 miles to get the crubles, but it is what my biirds like, so it is what they get![​IMG]

10. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Carla-
    That is fantastic info! Thanks for taking time to respond; I'll go get yogurt today, and stop throwing out food which is still "fine" (LOL!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by