Pellets vs. Crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tenderkat, Oct 7, 2009.

1. tenderkat

tenderkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone have any opinions on which is better? What are the pros and cons of each? Do your chickens seem to prefer crumbles over pellets, or viceversa?

2. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    No preference as far as the chickens go, but I prefer the pellets , it seems as thought there is less waste.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My chickens prefer crumbles and my smallest bantams like the seramas and japanese either can't or completely refuse to eat pellets. Which is fine cause crumbles is all I can get at nearby stores. Pellets though will have less waste and cost you less in the end than crumbles.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Pellets... [​IMG]

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    All of mine like crumbles better. They seem to have more waste with pellets they scratch the pellets every where. I feel thcrumbles are easier for they to eat. [​IMG]

6. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I have my layers on crumbles, my hybrids that I incubated are on crumbles from start to finish they are being raised for meat tho...

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Much prefer the pellets, less waste. Any that they spill is easier for them to pick up off the floor.

8. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Mine prefer crumbles. If I had made the switch to pellets when they first switched to layer feed, I think they would have taken to them better. I waited until they had been laying for about 6 months, then didn't realize that they weren't eating much of the pellets. I thought the feed was lasting longer because they weren't wasting as much.

They free ranged daily, so got much of what they needed from the yard. Then I built them a pen, and the pellets still didn't seem to be getting eaten. Egg production dropped to nearly zero. I switched them back to crumbles, and, I'll be darned if egg production didn't go back to normal in about 3 weeks.

That was in the summer. No one had been molting. NOW, they are molting, so egg production is down again. I will stick with crumbles. Switch to pellets early if you're going to do it.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I prefer pellets, lots less waste and they don't seem to mind the change.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    For some of us with larger flocks waste is a big issue, so the pellets offer us a little savings, but they are better for large fowl, although my quail love them just as well.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by