Pellets vs. Crumbles?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Sep 21, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I feed my duck Flock Raiser Crumbles, but they sure waste a lot. I was wondering if they would likely waste less if I got the pellet form? Thoughts?

I have gone with crumbles as that is what was recommended when they were younger, but not sure it is best now. (They are 6 months or 3 months old).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well I tried feeding my Call ducks pellets but I found that they wasted tons b/c the normal pellets were to big for their lil bills so they would push them all out, wasting them, so they could get to the smaller pellets underneath that were broken up into lil pieces. So I went back to crumbles and found they were not wasting as much feed as they could be with the pellets.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I would love it if our feed store carried the flock raiser in pellet form.
    I was tired of the crumbles all over the place and trailed from food dish to water dish leaving a mucky fly attracting mess. So I swapped to chicken layer pellets. They still drop a bit here and there, but it is way less nasty than the crumbles were.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Only pellets here.. Waste less, costs less, and even smells better!

Crumbles naturally have a weird smell to them even if it's a fresh bag. I just can't explain the smell of it..

5. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Quote:I started getting pellets due to crumble waste - but mine free range if they want smaller stuff to eat, then they need to find it.

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Pellets!

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    My ducks prefer pellets to crumbles.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    All of ours get all flock pellets, they are tiny enough even for the call ducks. On the weekends we mix game bird with the all flock both days as a booster. We also offer oats and BOSS, feathers look great and the Sebbies are feathering in wonderfully right now.

9. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Boss?

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

The game bird is finisher and just a sprinkle onto their pellets, usually Saturday mornings. A few times during the week they all get chopped greens and peas and fruits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by