pellets vs. mash

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dachickenkook, Aug 31, 2008.

1. dachickenkook

dachickenkook New Egg

Aug 16, 2008
    still trying to get a handle on feeding as new chicken parents...what is the difference between pellets and mash? We have been giving the chickens mash since we brought them home 2+ weeks ago. Then I am reading about pellets, so I am not sure which is the preferred feed. The food lists it as good for layers, but still no eggs ( we think they are only 3 + months old, so maybe not yet). Just trying to do the right thing!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Go with pellets. Much less waste and if it falls on the floor, they can pick it up.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

The difference is only in the form in which they come. Should be the same in nutrients. Still a little early to expect eggs, maybe a couple more months. Some folks think pellets have less waste, less mess.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:+1

5. dachickenkook

dachickenkook New Egg

Aug 16, 2008
    Thanks for the advice! I will head over to Agway later today and pick up some pellets [​IMG]

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    First, if they are only 3 months old don't give them layer feed yet. It has too much calcium in it for them and can harm them. Wait to give them the layer feed when they start laying (around 20 weeks old, depending on the breed).

I like the pellet feed much better than mash also since they don't waste nearly as much, especially with my feeder hanging from the ceiling. They can't get their feet inside to scratch it out that way.

7. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    Some of my bantams, especially the smaller breeds, have trouble with some pellets that are too big for them. I feed mine crumbles, because they would knock out the larger pellets to get to the smaller, so I actually have less waste with crumbles. They eat most that fall to the ground. But I heard from others that they prefer pellets. Just see what works best for you.

8. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    When I switched to mash from pellets I noticed quite a bit of waste, but I had my hanging feeder too low. When I raised it up to about the heigth of their backs they stopped shoveling it out with their beaks and settled for just eating it [​IMG]

Oh, I have 31 22 week old RIRs. Getting 10-12 eggs a day, so the girls are just getting warmed up.

9. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I like the pellets not as much waste and my girls also pick up and eat whatever is spilled onto the ground!

10. dachickenkook

dachickenkook New Egg

Aug 16, 2008
    Now I am confused again...if I shouldn't feed them the laying mash, what should I feed them? And, I have the mash in a bowl, so the pellets should be more like "eye level" with them to make it easier to eat? Should the mash be hung up too? They eat veggies and other table scraps every day (approved off of the list!). With the mash in the bowl, it doesn't seem too messy. What should they eat, and when do I switch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by