Pellets vs. Pine Shavings?

Peeplperson

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Napa
We're using pine shavings (mostly since that's what they loaded into my car at the feed store). Anybody have a pro/con list for the pellets? Where do you get them?

Also, can they safely go into the composting pile? What I like about the shavings is that they go right into my compost pile for next year's garden.

Can you do the deep composting method in the coop with the pellets?

Thanks for any input.

Pellets are designed to get soaked with water and turn into dust, litterally. I'd say since pine shavings are dusty as it is, if you used pellets, it would be worse. I usually get the coarsest shavings I can find.

I have not used the pellets but would think they would be fine. As someone with pellet making experience (animal feed and soybean hulls) they are made with sawdust steam and high pressure. I can not see why they would not go into compost, sawdust is used regularly in composting manure and animals.

Brian

I used pellets for the first time in the coop this winter and they worked great! I seem to get condensation from underneath the wood floor in the winter and the pellets kept my coop a lot less smelly & wet. I did mix 2 40 lb bags of pellets to one bag of Aspen shavings (not sure why), as Aspen is less dusty than pine. Then I added at least 2 more bags of pellets and 1 of aspen as the winter went on. They break down to shreds and dust, but the coop had less dust on things than in previous years. They are all wood and are supposed to break down faster in compost. I know regular wood chips take forever to break down, but will see how the compost is after a few months. I am not using them this summer, as I have less moisture, but I am already thinking I should have. I did not wet them first as some do, but they all still broke down over the months except for a few. I am going to use them for some bantam chicks I'm getting next week.

wait now I am confused...I thought I read somewhere on here a few days ago pellets are LESS dusty...even went and got some and planned on putting them under my birds today... :-( Now I am scared too!

deep litter in the coop was originally my plan...on top of my cement floor and probably a layer of hay as well...I figured I wouldnt need to do much but after the initial time add a bag of pellets each week or so... and it should break down into the hay right? Then just changing it out completely every three to four months? Newbie sorry...

I use deep litter shavings in my main coop, which has worked well. It is very dusty, though.

I'm using equine pine pellets in my brooders for chicks and ducklings. I'm still not sure how I like it with the chicks. They aren't as wet as the ducks, so the pellets need watered to start the break down, but the dust doesn't seem as bad as with using pine shavings. Dust is mainly from feather dander.

I love the pellets with the ducks. The pellets get wet and mat into a solid layer that I scoop off, then I stir what is still dry and add fresh pellets. So I'm only really cleaning my duck brooder about every 4 days instead of the daily mess I had on pine shavings and puppy pads back when I started with my goslings. I still keep the waterers sitting in a tray with 1.5 inch lip and the food in another tray away from the water to help manage waste and dampness.

Baby ducks may try to eat pellets at first, so cover them with something like the puppy pads their first couple of days until they learn where to get food. I doubt a chick could eat the pellet, but they may pick at the sawdust they make. Both will pick at the pine shavings, but I think they soon realize it isn't food.

ETA: I get the Equine Pine pellets from Tractor Supply. I think my Agland also has a version of it.

Last edited:
I started my babies on the pellets covered with paper towels. It was getting expensive, so I switched over to shavings two days ago. I actually like the shavings better - when the pellets got wet, they turned into a clump. (Think clumping cat litter.)

I prefer the shavings - so far. I'm a newbie and my change my mind again sometime...

Back
Top Bottom