Pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Buffrington, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Buffrington

Buffrington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi

I have had an issue with my few Bo's hens not wanting to lay eggs with a roo present, I have now gone and added laying pellets to their daily food intake, now my question is, should I continue to give pellets or rather not?

I have now gotten 5 eggs from the start off giving them pellets

Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you mean layer pellets as opposed to layer crumbles? Or was it another question.

3. Buffrington

Aug 5, 2013
    Sorry if was not clear, layer pellets?

Thank you

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Pellets is just a shape, there are different types of feed ie grower, layer, flock raiser, starter and then there are different shapes ie pellets, crumbles, mash, etc. Is your concern about the shape being pellets or about the feed being layer? What is the make up of your flock?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Need to know what they were eating before. In general it's best to feed laying hens some type of commercial layer feed. It's the easiest way to deliver the correct levels of vitamins and nutrients they need including calcium for laying eggs. Or one can try feeding an all-flock type feed with oyster shell on the side for calcium.

6. Buffrington

Aug 5, 2013
    To answer ChickensRDinos and cafarmgirl,

My flock is a total number of 7 birds, all Buff Orpngtons. I have one Roo and two fully grown hens, and the rest is two pullets and a possible roo as well. (still young)

My concern about the pellets are, Can I continue to give the hens laying pellets with their daily food to help with everything they need to lay eggs?

Thanks

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If you have a mixed flock with young non-laying birds and roosters then I would not feed laying feed. Laying feed is complete nutrition for laying hens but really for laying hens only. You can achieve the same or very similar nutrition with a grower or flock raiser feed and a bowl of calcium on the side. The biggest difference between a laying feed and a grower or all flock is calcium. The laying hens need it but it can have long term negative health effect for young birds who aren't expelling it through egg shell production. WIth the calcium on the side, the birds will only eat it as needed which works for everyone.

Once all of your hens are laying you can decide what you want to do. Some people with roos choose to feed a layer. It's not the best for the roosters but depending on your goals and methods it might work for you. Other people stick with a grower or all flock + oyster shell.

8. Buffrington

Aug 5, 2013
    Some very good advice, thank you,

My end goal is for everyone in my flock to be happy and healthy, then they will make me happy and lay eggs which would eventually be little chicks.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by