1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pelvic spacing question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moodlymoo, Oct 15, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    How far apart do those 2 little bumps need to be below the vent to indicate egg laying is coming soon? I am getting so impatient with my freeloading girls. Their combs and waddles are very red, they are of right age, but they are holding out on me I think just to drive me nuts. I am also having problems with my younger girls sleeping in the nest box so I have then blocked. I want to open them for the big girls in case the time is getting close

2. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    The space between their pelvic bones has to be 2 to 3 fingers wide. Less than that they are not close at all.

3. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:Thats what I figured...everyone is only 1 finger. Why wont my birds lay [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  4. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:Thats what I figured...everyone is only 1 finger. Why wont my birds lay [​IMG]

How many weeks old are they? One of sy girls started at 20 weeks then some between 22-25 weeks and I have one who hasn't started yet that is 27 weeks old.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Moodly, this time of year, when the weather is cooler and the days are getting shorter, it`s not unusual for pullets to delay the onset of laying and many older hens stop for a while also. The good news is, the older they are when laying begins, the larger the eggs will be. Don`t be impatient, things will happen soon........Pop

6. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Well, I will just forget about getting eggs until spring than. Problem is that in Oregon the sun doesnt start shining again until late June. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by