1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pen flooring for a duck in a wheelchair?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AceWeasel, May 13, 2016.

1. AceWeasel

AceWeasel Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2015
    so we have two rouen ducks a little over a month old and one injured his leg and can't put weight on it. we're planning to bring him to the vet, but there's no emergency vet nearby and none of the vets in town can fit him in until sometime next week. but since he's eating, drinking, preening, and pooping we're not too worried at this point. we're thinking of making him a duck wheelchair (hopefully he'll only need it temporarily, either with the issue only being something that will heal up or he'll learn to balance on one leg) and we were wondering what would be good flooring in the pen we're going to keep them in that would best allow him to use his wheelchair in it. right now there's thick grass in the bottom and I'm not sure how well that'll work with it.

2. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I'm not sure.

But I do want to ask, are you giving your ducklings any niacin supplements such as brewers yeast, or nutritional yeast? It might not be injured, it might just have a niacin deficiency, which is quite common especially if you are feeding your ducklings something like chick feed.

3. AceWeasel

May 15, 2015
    we checked at the feed store and luckily someone who knows about ducks was there. he said the starter they recommend may not have enough niacin for ducks (it was a gamebird starter). he said they didn't have any suppliments in stock and sent us to another feed store in the area, which also didn't have it. we wound up getting some nutritional yeast to try that. (the health food store on the north side of town has it, and right now staying on the north end of town is the only way to avoid thick traffic since it's tourist week here. holy crap are the roads crazy packed in the main part of town!)

4. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I'm sorry you got the run around! My gut feeling is that your duckling isn't hurt, it just has a niacin defeciency. It's quite common, especially since many of us duck owners, jump into getting ducks not knowing that they need an extra vitamin that many poultry foods do not have. :) Good luck! You should start to see improvement in a few days. I'd give it to them 2 or 3 times a day to begin with. Just sprinkle a couple of pinches on their food. It worked for me. :)

5. AceWeasel

May 15, 2015
    it is likely, even with the other duckling not showing any leg issues. looking more into it it seems they get most of it from bugs and stuff outside, and the one with the leg problem is actually scared of that kind of stuff (he climbed up onto my lap, up me, and hid his head in my hair the last time my dad tried to give him a worm). the other one eats every bug she can get very enthusiastically.

6. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Aww. It makes sense. Have you seen any improvement at all? Even if it's just small?

7. AceWeasel

May 15, 2015
    his leg seems to maybe be a little less limp today. it's hard to tell tho, especially since he's been getting a little tired from trying to balance on his good leg (especially with the other duck bumping into him all the time, she's a bit nosy and bossy). he's eating up the extra attention he's getting right now tho. he loves the extra time snuggling in my lap.

8. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Hopefully you'll notice a difference in the next couple of days. :)

9. AceWeasel

May 15, 2015
    I think it's looking a little better. he's still not putting weight on it, but he used it to scratch his bill while balancing on the other leg today.

10. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    That's great! It'll probably just take some time for that leg to get as strong as the other one again. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by