pen flooring for a duck in a wheelchair?

That's great! It'll probably just take some time for that leg to get as strong as the other one again. :)
yeah, he's still getting his strength back in it, but there's noticeable improvement every day. I wish my Bell's palsy was going away as fast as his leg problems!

he's been getting plenty of swimming in to help him recover too. today he even got some time in the pond since it was in the upper 70's finally. the other duck wanted to dry off on their own, but he had to climb up onto my lap to dry off and get petted.

That is wonderful! I think that he knows that you are doing your best to help him. We had an egg bound chicken (not duck) last night for the first time ever. We took all of the necessary steps to get her to lay the egg, and this morning there was an egg with no shell on it. She is happy, healthy, and back with her flock. But you can tell by the way she is looking at us, and acting, that she is so thankful that we were willing to help instead of giving up.

That is wonderful! I think that he knows that you are doing your best to help him. We had an egg bound chicken (not duck) last night for the first time ever. We took all of the necessary steps to get her to lay the egg, and this morning there was an egg with no shell on it. She is happy, healthy, and back with her flock. But you can tell by the way she is looking at us, and acting, that she is so thankful that we were willing to help instead of giving up.
yeah, they definitely do. our favorite silkie chicken is one we had to nurse a bit when she(?) was a chick. she was a dumpy little runt to begin with but then another chick walked over her and hurt her head and/or neck and her head tilted to one side for a bit. we had to isolate her with the calmest of the other silkies (since she was panicking when all alone) and give her some special TLC. she's not the prettiest silkie (her face is a little lopsided), but personality-wise she's adorable. most people would have given up on her, but she turned out so sweet that even with her not being the prettiest silkie out there and looking so overall gender neutral (seriously, we're not even sure she's a she, I don't think our roos are either since one treats her like a submissive rooster and the other treats her mostly like I hen, we don't even know for sure if any of the eggs we've got came from her, and once she did this really weird warble of a crow) we love her and are glad we took the extra time to make sure she made it.

so happy your chicken made it. I'd probably panic if any of the chickens I have now or had in the past got eggbound, mostly because of some of the stories I heard from a friend who had a parrot that was prone to getting eggbound.

yeah, they definitely do. our favorite silkie chicken is one we had to nurse a bit when she(?) was a chick. she was a dumpy little runt to begin with but then another chick walked over her and hurt her head and/or neck and her head tilted to one side for a bit. we had to isolate her with the calmest of the other silkies (since she was panicking when all alone) and give her some special TLC. she's not the prettiest silkie (her face is a little lopsided), but personality-wise she's adorable. most people would have given up on her, but she turned out so sweet that even with her not being the prettiest silkie out there and looking so overall gender neutral (seriously, we're not even sure she's a she, I don't think our roos are either since one treats her like a submissive rooster and the other treats her mostly like I hen, we don't even know for sure if any of the eggs we've got came from her, and once she did this really weird warble of a crow) we love her and are glad we took the extra time to make sure she made it.

so happy your chicken made it. I'd probably panic if any of the chickens I have now or had in the past got eggbound, mostly because of some of the stories I heard from a friend who had a parrot that was prone to getting eggbound.

Awww! I'm so glad you didn't give up on her. <3

I was panicking, but I tried my best to stay as calm as possible because in my experience, panicking doesn't help. I'm hoping this is something that we won't have to deal with again. Luckily she was only eggbound. Her oviduct did not prolapse, so as far as I know because that didn't happen, she isn't prone for it to happen again.

Back
Top Bottom