Pen flooring

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by cny91583, Jan 1, 2015.

1. cny91583

cny91583 New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    Right now I have my Golden in a covered outside pen. Part of the pen sits on a cement slab. Is there anything I should be putting on the floor of the pen that sits on that slab? Straw, wood chips? I live in WI and, call me crazy, am kind of worried about his feet freezing on that slab. Anybody have any advice?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would put washed sand and straw on top of that.Wood chips will just blow away.Do they have a perching place?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. cny91583

cny91583 New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, he has a roosting box and two outside roosting posts. I'll give the washed sand topped with straw a whirl. I'm a newbie to this birding and this Golden is basically a rescue, he was found running around the woods by my friend's house in late November. Her husband literally caught this thing with his bare hands. None of her neighbors fessed up to owning him so I took him in. He was pretty weak when I got him, now he's seems much more healthy. Between his feed and fresh fruit/veggies and some treats this bird eats as well I as do. Maybe it's just me but his colors seem even brighter since I first got him. He reminds me of a Velociraptor when he runs, kind of cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by