Pen G duration and update on hen attacked by dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robomb, Mar 17, 2017.

1. robomb

robomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    My RIR is an absolute miracle girl having survived the attack by a husky last week. I have given her 2 doses of Pen-G on consecutive days. I tried to find more information about dosing (should it be consecutive days or every other day? And what is the duration - 4 doses, 4 days, a week?), but can't find anything specific. Does anyone have information about this? Recommendations? Experience? She keeps pulling off the VetWrap and bandages, so after I clean the wounds this evening, I think I will leave them exposed. Hopefully she won't continue pecking at the wounds and draw blood.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Procaine penicillin G is given once a day for four days in a row. 1/4 ml given into the breast muscle using a 1/2 inch needle is a good dose dor any chicken. Other types of penicillin are given at intervals several days apart.

3. robomb

robomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    Thank you!! Just did the third day of Procaine G. Will do one more day and then let her heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by