Pen ideas help

96civic87

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
New iberia louisiana
Ok so i have to have my coop and pen 2' off the ground with a roof. So my idea is that i will make a raised garden bed for the pen fill it with dirt and some night crawlers and plant some cheap green plants maybe untill it can produce its own. Idk how would i clean this or is this possible? It will be no bigger than
4-6'x6-8' ne help will be appreciated.

I'm not sure I understand your concept but for cheap plants for chickens to eat, you can plant alfalfa,turnips, beets, radish, clover, oats, wheat and in summer, buckwheat.
If the chickens are in a small space they will make the soil too acidic and high in phosphates to support plants.

Ok so i have to have my coop and pen 2' off the ground with a roof. So my idea is that i will make a raised garden bed for the pen fill it with dirt and some night crawlers and plant some cheap green plants maybe untill it can produce its own. Idk how would i clean this or is this possible? It will be no bigger than
4-6'x6-8' ne help will be appreciated.
I totally understand... mine was supposed to be one to put plants on top. However, it was gifted to me and had set out in the weather unprotected for several years. Be sure and line the top with a heave waterproof lining. One like is used for water gardens would be nice. Mine was not protected from the rain and over time had bowed in the middle which cause it to hold water instead of going down to the drain pipe. Therefore...couldn't use it for planting without removing the top. That was going to be more trouble and I physically couldn't do it. The chickens would love to be turned loose up there with the green plants! But they can sure destroy a plot in quick time.

Could i just build a pen with wire mesh 2' off the ground? I know they wouldnt be able to peck at the ground but would be able to get out the coop for fresh air

Could i just build a pen with wire mesh 2' off the ground? I know they wouldnt be able to peck at the ground but would be able to get out the coop for fresh air

I have a pen like that. Half of the space is a ladder like frame covered with 1" hardware cloth.
I plant the same things in there that I listed above. The alfalfa and field peas work well.
I started with a frame made of 2X2s but had to raise it because when the chickens scratched they filled it up with dirt. Mine is about 4" high. I take it out about every 18 months, pull the high phosphate soil out and replace it with finished compost. I know it's time to refurbish when the plants don't grow well any more.

Back
Top Bottom