1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pen or No Pen???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bird sitter, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Swan

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Duck

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Goose

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Muscovy

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

All want ads need to be placed in the BST area.

~Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I do. I believe it's my responsibility to keep my birds safe from all predatory threats. In my particular region it would be much too risky to free range anyone.

3. bird sitter

I don't get it! I mean they can fly and what's the point other than keeping them safe? In the wild or in local ponds they can stay alive so what's the catch here?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Wild and Domestic ducks are very different animals. Wild ducklings are raised by wild parents and have been taught survival skills. Domestic ducks are literally "Sitting Ducks" when it comes to predators. Also the majority of breeds are much too heavy to fly. Even if they can get a couple of feet of the ground they can't remain airborne for long. I personally raise bantam ducks so allowing them to fly around in this area would literally be a death sentence.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    deleted .....done just done.....................

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I fall into the sometimes, i have a fenced area but my birds are full flight so some leave, forage and return lol I used to totally free range my birds but after two loses i changed it. I think each circumstance has to be evaluated as people have different set-ups and birds, some breeds don't even fly for instance. My one drake, the biggest doesn't he's just too big to get up off the ground by more than a few inches.

I should add, i have always locked my birds up in predator proof housing each night even before i had a fenced area.

7. bird sitter

Ok then will someone please take me to jail? [​IMG]

8. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Well, my ducks can't get more than 3" off the ground so I wouldn't say they can fly. That being said, I guess I keep them penned although yarded would be a better term. They stay in their yard 50'x75' all day unless we are outside to ducksit them and then they get to roam around "outside". I would never let mine roam around unattended though, it ould be too easy for them to get out onto the road or onto the neighbors property.

Also, I don't get the "take me to jail" post but there is no need to get your knickers in a twist because people might not agree with you. You put up a poll for goodness sake, that implies you are interested in how other's keep their ducks...or you just want to pick fights with people on here and if that is the case, not cool at all.

9. bird sitter

In not picking fights ! Whoever just said, " it's the law to keep your waterfowl penned up." So obliviously I need to get a fine or something if that's the case. My neighbors don't pen theirs up so I don't see the issue here! All I asked is who keeps their fowl penned up! I don't need any speeches of this and that is illegal cause I see people do it all the time!

10. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Well, ok then. I'm sure that whatever you are referring to was meant in your best interest since the people on this board have always been supportive and helpful to me. I do want to point out that just because other people do something doesn't mean it's ok or necessarily legal. You of course, can choose to do what you will. I will not be posting on this thread again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by