1. Austin T

Austin T Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    wisconsin
    I have a question. I did not plan things out well I didn't get anything planted in my pen. I live in Wisconsin and want to plant something good for the birds that will be grown by the end of May, and ideas?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I plant shrubs and trees for shade outside of my coop and run, instead of inside. If your run is huge compared to the size of your flock, then shrubs might work inside of it. Native non-toxic plants are great. Also viburnums, lilacs, mints, catmint. Any tender plants will never survive in there! Mary

3. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    This year we've planted nasturtium on the outside of their run. It climbs and we've been told it's a good natural de-wormer.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nasturtium climbs?!

@Austin T Try grazing frames to grow stuff in the pen for the chickens to eat.

http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

1/2" hardware cloth for grass-like leaved plants(sod and grains)
    1 x 2" fencing for larger leaved plants.
    When fresh planting seed I stack a second frame on top until roots are established or they pull the whole plant out.

I like the one at the top best and am converting the others over.
    Ripped a half inch off the 2x4's and used it to cover mesh edges to avoid cut feet and subsequent infection (bumblefoot).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I love the idea with nasturtium, the flowers are lovely and I love edible landscaping. I was going to grow some peas outside my run and trail them up the sides, but maybe I'll try adding some nasturtium to the mix as well.

6. Austin T

Austin T Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    wisconsin
    Thx for the advice guys.

7. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by