Pen question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quail1994, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Quail1994

Quail1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Hi

I have 8 breeding pairs of Jumbo quails in breeding cages.(2 quails in each cage)

I was wondering if I could kill 6 Males and then out the rest of the 2 and 8 females all in one big pen?

I want to this,because them all in one separate cage each is to much work for me.

So can I put all my 20 week old quails in one pen? Will they still lay eggs after the big change?

Thanks

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Jumbo...so they are Coturnix?
    You can definitely cull out all but 2 of your roosters for your 8 hens. Coturnix do best in coveys as a rule not pairs b/c the roosters are generally VERY HARD on just 1 or 2 hens(of course there are always exceptions to the rule) Anyway, rule of thumb is 1 rooster to every 3-7 hens.
    Also provide 1 square foot of living space for each Coturnix.
    [​IMG]

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Jumbo...so they are Coturnix?
    You can definitely cull out all but 2 of your roosters for your 8 hens. Coturnix do best in coveys as a rule not pairs b/c the roosters are generally VERY HARD on just 1 or 2 hens(of course there are always exceptions to the rule) Anyway, rule of thumb is 1 rooster to every 3-7 hens.
    Also provide 1 square foot of living space for each Coturnix.
    [​IMG]

+1 [​IMG]

Hey Armin,

I would tell you the same thing mhwc56 has already said.... You must have very good, almost abnormal, coturnix males. Otherwise, at 20 weeks old, your hens would have already have been badly beaten up and bald... All in one pen helps this. Now if your talking about any other quail species, more caution is needed. Still possible, but more dependent on the birds themselves .... Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by