pen size for Mandarin Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rach1966, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Rach1966

Rach1966 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2008
    East TN
    I'm having a new pen built that is 25 ft wide by 35 feet deep by 8 ft high on the edges and higher in the middle when I get the netting on. this is all wire fence, I have a 15 foot by 8 ft shed that is connected to that.
    I plan to put my 4 peafowl in here and pair of Egyptian Geese (they are now mixed with the chickens).
    today the tin went on the shed part and Sat the netting goes over the top.
    hope to get gutters put on next week on the shed part.
    there is a large hard plastic fish pond thingy that someone gave me and I have dug a hole and put in the ground with a drain, just need to put the ground mesh cover on the ground around the pond then the big flat rocks around the edge of the pond and sew grass seed in the lot where I dug up the dirt and hope it grows some before I turn them in next week.
    I have the exact same pen and building a this new one that connects to the existing pen which has my chickens, peafowl, and pair of Egyptian Geese in it, I want the new pen for the 4 peafowl and geese.

after all of this, I want to buy a pair of Mandarin Ducks. do you think they will be OK in the new enclosure, not sure if I need it bigger for them or will this be ok?

thanks

2. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    They may be fine in there, but there are 2 reasons you may want a new one. 1. The egyptian geese could hurt or kill them, specially in breeding season. 2. Once you get one pair, you can't stop! It's worse than chicken addiction but they need at least a 10X10 pen, but I'd built a bigger one...

3. Rach1966

Rach1966 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2008
    East TN
    thanks for the reply
    my Egy Geese were not very happy with the chickens this spring, each keep to their side of the pen that is why I have built another pen to separate them. the ducks might do better in with the chickens then. both pens are the same size, 25 ft x 35 ft with a shed (end of barn) for them to go in.
    I'm gonna limit myself to one pair (or that is what I'm telling myself for now)
    thanks again for the reply

4. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Don't put the ornamentals with chickens. The chickens will pick on them and spread dieseases. Its safe to say never keep domestic and ornamentals together. If then pen is big enough, you could keep peafowl and mandies together. So, if I were you, I'd have a only chicken coop, Egyptians by themselves, and peafowl with mandies if you only get 1 pair. But it will be very hard to only have 1 pair [​IMG]

ETA: they don't need a barn to go in, and they may not use it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Do they need any type of enclosure to get in during bad weather? Also, how tall should a pen be? Would 6 feet tall be ok? Thanks!

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

The chickens probably stand a chance against the egyptians but a small mandarin won't.
    No matter how clean of conditions you have chickens just happen to have the strongest immune systems and carry a lot of things that make the others sick easily.
    I'm not sure about keeping them with the peacocks would be a great idea but then again i've never tried it and don't know how that would go so i'm no help there.
    I have a small shed like overhang in my pen that is no more than 2 foot high and 4sqft coveraged. they don't use this in the rain or storms/snow. the only time they have ever used it this year was when it got to -8˚ and the snow was 4ft deep and the overhang had dry bedding in it with a lamp because 1. i was ignorant about the light affecting them and 2. i had a mandarin drake that wasn't doing so good and used the extra heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by