Pen size? Help please.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4H-Mom, Aug 20, 2010.

1. 4H-Mom

4H-Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Rolla, Mo
    I have a 9x6 pen. I am trying to figure how many birds I can put in this size pen. I will be adding a coop later. For now a tarp will help keep some elements out. Thank you.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You'll get different opinions...I use the 10 sq. ft. of run space rule of thumb, which would mean 5 standard size birds. Will your housing be attached or inside the pen?? If it's inside, I would use an elevated coop, so it takes nothing away from their outdoor space.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with teach1 that I would only have 5 to 6 large size fowl in that size pen. Obviously the more room the better but we keep 6 large fowl to each of our 6 X 10 breeding pens and they do just fine.

4. 4H-Mom

4H-Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Rolla, Mo
    I was thinking about 5 hens & 1 rooster but wanted opinions first. Yes more room the better. I was still thinking about the houseing but yes a raised house inside would be great. It would also provide shade if there is not much in that area. We plan to have a few of these. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by