1. wayne85

wayne85 New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Hi everyone I've never kept chickens before so I'm new to it all I've built my coop following sizes and guides. I'm just wondering I've built in 3 nest boxes so by doing that am I limited to 3 birds or will they share the boxes for laying? Thanks wayne.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Generally speaking one box per 4-6 hens is more than sufficient -- each hen does not need her own box as they only spend an hour or two (and often far less) in the box per day so more than one hen is able to use the same box -- sometimes separately and sometimes you'll find 2-3 girls in the same box at the same time (none of my current flock will share, they make the most hilariously "scary" noises to scare others away).

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Meant to add - what *could* be limiting to your flock size would be the dimensions you use in your construction - if you built the coop for three that is what is going to limit you, not the nest box count.

4. wayne85

wayne85 New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Thanks for that the dimensions I've built it to are 3ftx4ft and 2 1/2ft high if that helps?[​IMG]

5. wayne85

wayne85 New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Oh another thing now you know what the coop size is how many birds do you think it could accommodate the pen size too is 8ft4x8ft6 and 3ft3 high. Thanks. Wayne.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by