Pen sizes for bantam pairs and trios?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by poultrycrazy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    For breeding season ineed to make pens for my bantam cochins, silkies, polish, and old english. How big should the cages be? My coop is almost 10 foot by almost 10 foot and i plan on stacking them.

Thanks

2. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    I just made a such a cage, but I made it to fit the space I had so its 24 deep x 44 wide x 24 high with a divider and two doors so it could hold two pairs if need be.

unfortunately the door to my coop is only 22 3/4" [​IMG] so I suppose I'll have to make a change in one or the other!

so, what ever size you settle on, go measure your door before you start cutting wood. [​IMG]

cheers,
    Jerry

3. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    The bigger the better, I say. But not too deep that you can't reach your arm all the way in and back to grab your birds when you need to.

4. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Here are some pics of cages I have built many times. They are 3ft deep, 4ft wide and 2 ft tall. They are relatively inexpensive to build materials wise, you can build two for about $50.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Nice pens. I would love to see more pictures of the inside of your barn. We are getting ready to build a chicken barn 20x20. Will have a 3-4 foot walk straight thru the middle. Then gonna have different pens down sides. Trying to get ideas. How high wire is? Does it have wire all the way to the rafters. Does each pen have wire over top? If you have more pictures would love to see them.

6. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Sorry it took me so long to reply to this, I forgot I posted on here.
    The barn is 30 x 100. Each pen is 10 x 10 and the hallway is 10 wide. The wire does go all the way to the top along the hallway and inbetween each pen also. Each pen has a sliding door that goes to an outside run as well. I have one picture of the hallway in the barn and I will post it. The cages are very convenient and easy to clean when needed. You can create any size you want to really, this is just the size that was good for me and easy to build.
    Hope this helps you out.
    John

[​IMG]

tbcorum likes this.
  7. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Really nice barn !! We are planning on building a 20x20 this spring. I like how your wire is done. That is how I want ours but much smaller scale. It will have the walk thru the middle with pens on each side they will open to different runs. Thanks for posting picture !

8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:Can you please tell me what materials you used?? I'm "building things" challenged. I need to build one just like the pic and am gonna try to do it myself:fl
    TIA
    Ayda

9. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    The barn is 30 x 100. Each pen is 10 x 10 and the hallway is 10 wide.

Ohhh, so jealous! Love it. Did you build it yourself? Wish I was that talented.​

10. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I would LOVE to have a setup like that!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by