pencil or magic marker?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thecityman, Jul 30, 2010.

1. thecityman

thecityman Chirping

Jun 14, 2010
    Orlinda, TN
    I'm a relative newbie and am about to set a bunch of quail eggs. Last time I hatched some I used a magic marker to put the X and Os on without even considering potential harm, then I saw someone say they could poison the egg and not to use markers. My eggs hatched for the most part, but maybe I just got lucky. Can some of you please tell me if you've used magic markers and/or what you think about using markers. Obviously pencils would be LESS risky, but aside from it being harder and taking more time to write on eggs with a pencil, you just can't hardly see it on the speckled quail eggs (coturnix, etc). So...can I use my sharpie or not??? Thanks, Folks.
    Kevin

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I use sharpies so I can see the marks getting older isn't kind to my eyes....

3. Hi! Sharpie Permanent Markers are safe to use for marking 'eggs for hatching'.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. thecityman

thecityman Chirping

Jun 14, 2010
    Orlinda, TN
    This forum is the BEST! Thanks, folks, for the answers and links. Sounds like there may be some question about it, but overall it sounds like its probably ok and clearly a lot of people have used them and came out fine. My situation is the same as the one above....most of the quail eggs I'm setting are speckled and pencil JUST doesn't show up well at all. The idea of non-toxic and/or grease pencils is great also. However, I'm ready to set and don't want to drive in get some, so regular sharpie is what its going to be! Thanks all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by