Pencillian and baby chicks

Cajunchick3

Hatching
Aug 11, 2016
Folsom, La
I have a young poulet about 6 wks old who today was bit by dog. I managed to save her but I'm concerned about infection. I doused wounds in hydrogen peroxide. My question is, I have bacillium g Pencillian. Is she old enough for a dose? Any answers would greatly help. Thanks

I have a young poulet about 6 wks old who today was bit by dog. I managed to save her but I'm concerned about infection. I doused wounds in hydrogen peroxide. My question is, I have bacillium g Pencillian. Is she old enough for a dose? Any answers would greatly help. Thanks

I just spray the wound (after cleaning) with Blu-kote . Pencillian might help but I have never used it for this problem.

I dont have any blukote, just bird wound saline stuff and Neosporin. I won't give it any Pencillian unless someone else lets me know it's ok. Currently I'm giving it to full grown hen whose also in recovery from a puppy biting it. I think my dog busted open chicks pen because it saw it's puppy yesterday roughly play with hen and injure it. My dog protects older chickens but seems to have something for chicks. Wonder if her visiting puppys behavior brought this out. Shes never hurt my chickens before. Very discouraging these last couple of days, 2 tore up chickens in recovery. I need to be extra careful with dogs that never before showed this behavior.

It's pretty common for dog owners to be perfectly bewildered that their dogs could show aggression suddenly when they "never" did before. That's unrealistic if you really think about it.

Whenever you put a predator species with a prey species the potential is always present for tragic outcomes due to the nature of the beast. In future, don't assume behavior will never occur just because you haven't seen it yet.

Back to using an antibiotic on a chick. Certainly you may. But you want to be sure it's necessary. The wound may not be infected, so what would be the point? I would cleanse the wound thoroughly with warm soap and water. Spray Vetericyn on it (go buy some) then smooth antibiotic ointment on the wound.

Clean every day and keep the wound moist with antibiotic ointment and Vetericyn to keep bacteria from colonizing the wound. Keep an eye out for infection, swelling, oozing, redness. If infection appears, then you might want to consider penicillin.

Thanks this is helpful. I didn't use Pencillian and today chick seems fine. Looks like everyone will make it.
My dog is a Great Pyranees she's guarded the chickens, ducks, and other dogs from other predators but baby chicks cause her to react differently I'm noticing.

Thanks this is helpful. I didn't use Pencillian and today chick seems fine. Looks like everyone will make it.
My dog is a Great Pyranees she's guarded the chickens, ducks, and other dogs from other predators but baby chicks cause her to react differently I'm noticing.

I had to break my GP too---she want to play with the chicks and killed one--being to ruff, wanted to keep the chick/s in her area------would go pick it up and bring it back to her lay down spot.

I'm wondering since all her puppies are now gone to homes if she wasn't trying to move chicks to her puppy spot. She could have easily killed it but was just carrying it. That did enough damage.

Back
Top Bottom