Pendulous crop surgery

Foxinthehenhouse

Songster
Aug 7, 2019
Cruso, NC
I’ve been watching one of my three month old hens for several days. She seemed to have a big bulge on her front. She wasn’t acting quite right but seemed to be eating and drinking. I caught her this morning and it felt like a lemon sized balloon of water. I put her in a cage and did some research. Turns out to be pendulous crop. Not much to be done but surgery and there is no chicken vet around.
I new that she wasn’t feeling well and would only get worse so I decided to open up the crop….what do I have to lose! I read what to do and long story short, I was able to get an enormous amount of fluid, food and grass out. I cleaned her up, bandaged it and hopefully she will recover. I put her in a empty coop and she proceeded to eat. 🤞🏻 Anyone know if I should do anything else?
8020C07A-CD8F-4019-9654-ABF1AFF03F1C.jpeg

Good for you. I admire your spunk and self confidence. Crop surgery is a simple affair with little risk. She should be fine.

The only thing that may form a cloud over this stellar accomplishment would be infection. Watch the incision for signs of that and be ready to step in with an oral antibiotic. Even with every precaution, infection can occur. It's not a sign of any failure.

By the way, very small correction of terminology.Your pullet had impacted crop. That's when, as you found, undigestible material fails to clear the crop and accumulates in a disgusting stagnant mess. Pendulous crop is a physical defect of the crop where it hangs too low for the crop to drain properly and chronic yeast infections are often the result. It's corrected with a crop bra.

Good for you. I admire your spunk and self confidence. Crop surgery is a simple affair with little risk. She should be fine.

The only thing that may form a cloud over this stellar accomplishment would be infection. Watch the incision for signs of that and be ready to step in with an oral antibiotic. Even with every precaution, infection can occur. It's not a sign of any failure.

By the way, very small correction of terminology.Your pullet had impacted crop. That's when, as you found, undigestible material fails to clear the crop and accumulates in a disgusting stagnant mess. Pendulous crop is a physical defect of the crop where it hangs too low for the crop to drain properly and chronic yeast infections are often the result. It's corrected with a crop bra.
Thank you for your confidence! I stand corrected, good information. 👍🤞🏻 Where could I buy oral antibiotic?

Back
Top Bottom