Pendulous crop

Spawndn72

Songster
Sep 15, 2015
I have a chicken that I believe was attacked by a predator about 3 months ago. Since then she has had a pendulous crop. At first, it didn't seem to bother her so I let it go. It doesn't feel impacted and she doesn't have sour breath. Lately, though she has been acting weird. She doesn't roost, instead, she gets up into a corner of the coop and lays down to sleep. She still eats fine.

Do you think she is suffering? Should I cull her, or just let her continue as is?

Have you checked her crop first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks? That's the only way to be certain there's a crop disorder. Keep her in a cage overnight if that's the only way you can check her before she eats. See if the crop is still full and if it's soft and spongy or full and hard. Use the criteria in my article to decide if it's sour crop or impacted crop. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You can conclude she has pendulous crop if, after treating for sour or impacted crop, the crop still fails to empty overnight. Then there is the option of a crop bra to assist in helping the crop empty overnight as it should. No need to cull her.

Yes, I have checked her crop first thing in the morning. It's empty.
With her crop hanging down it seems to affect her walking and as I said, she isn't roosting any more. Guess it's time for a crop bra.

Putting a bra on her is just the first step. You will need to calibrate the fit by checking how well her crop is emptying and watch to be sure it isn't keeping her from eating as much as she should.

This means watching to see if it's affecting her appetite since a too snug fit will hamper her crop from signaling she should eat.

A crop bra can be very helpful, but fitting it correctly can take some time and sometimes many adjustments. I start with the ties going horizontal across the birds body, rather than parallel/up and down. Get the bottom edge firm against the keel so that feet can't get caught up in it (some birds will walk backwards at first or high-step trying to step over what is in front of them). Then the top is whatever tightness is needed to support the crop so that it's comfortable and empties well. It can take some trial and error to get it on right. Do monitor closely at first, so that if she freaks out, or gets caught up in it you can intervene before she gets hurt, or attacked by a flock member for acting abnormally. Once they adjust to it, it's as if it's no longer there, but that can sometimes take a bit of time.

Last edited:
Thanks to @coach723 for pointing out that there may be a somewhat initial hysterical reaction to the crop bra, not only by the hen wearing it for the first time.

Once, long ago, I installed a very fashionable saddle apron on a hen, and when she burst from the coop wearing it for the first time, the flock scattered in hysterics. It was as if a strange and scary predator had invaded. It took everyone about fifteen minutes to quit acting like they were about to be slaughtered.

Back
Top Bottom