penedesenca chicks - aggression

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buns, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    I am experiencing a rather difficult time with some pene chicks I bought. They are extremely aggressive with one another, cannibalistic to be sure. This is with free range in a very large yard with lots and lots (did I say lots?) of grass, bugs, bushes, fresh water, and all you can eat excellent high protein diet. They even have a few other older, calm chickens out with them for companionship. They were hatched 9/17. I am at a loss as to how to keep the little monsters from pecking one another to death. Twice I have taken a bloodied chick and placed in inside a cage with the others around it thinking it would give it an opportunity to heal a bit and be less enticing for future pecks, and both times the chicks were dead by the next morning. I think they stressed themselves to death as their injuries were not life threatening although they did have bloodied wounds on their breasts (one chick) and back (other chick). The remaining chicks are generally missing patches of back and breast feathers and look pitiful.
    Thank you for any help.

2. Blackhorsehill

Blackhorsehill Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Lake Mills, WI
    Just happened to see your post.

Where did you get your chicks? Don't know if this would make a difference, just curious mostly.

I have black Penes, 3 different sources, and have not experienced this particular problem. However, I do know that others have experienced it, so you are not alone. It looks like you have done everything I would have suggested, ie pairing them with other breeds, lots of free range, good diet. Boy, I don't know. I corresponded with someone earlier in the year who gotten chicks from the same source I did, and was having a terrible problem with aggression, while I have yet to witness it.

Perhaps this will bump up the thread and someone else will have a clue. There is also a Yahoo Penedesenca group that you might check. It hasn't been too awfully active lately, maybe because summer had been so busy, but it is worth a try. I have never tried raising "just" Pene chicks. I have always had them growing up with other breeds, have them out on grass as soon as possible, feed organically, etc. They actually seem less feisty in these situations, then, say, my Partridge Chanteclers, who are definitely in charge of things.

Took a look at your website. What a gorgeous buckskin Walker. My Merry Go Boy granddaughter (who was 34) passed a few years ago. I really miss her.

3. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:I got the chicks from a private breeder in NE Texas. Can't remember her name, this was my only business dealing with her.
    I have probably six pene chicks left. A direct result of being free range at such an early age. We have kestrels, owls, etc so I knew the survival rate would not be good, but was left with no choice.
    This experience has definitely left me with no desire to have this breed again. Unfortunate, but true.
    Thank you so much for your kind comments on our stallion. He is a good boy and we have enjoyed having him. I know you must miss your old girl very much. It is always so hard to say goodbye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by