Penedesenca chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristenm1975, May 7, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Has anyone had any of these? I have never seen them on any lists with the common hatcheries (Ideal, McMurray's, Cackle, Privett, Stromberg's etc).

Does anyone know of where to find them in WA state?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Never heard of them before. [​IMG]

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I've been trying, but the breeder I was hoping to get some from had his roo killed. If you find a source, post it!

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Hard to get good quality purebred penedesenca. I don't think I'd go with hatchery stock. They are slow to mature. My penedesenca crosses didn't lay until 9months or so old. Being crosses mine lay very large eggs with speckles probably from the welsummer in them. Good penedesenca will lay eggs whose color make most maran enthusiasts jealous. [​IMG] They don't generally lay that large of eggs though.

5. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Just go to www.feathersite.com good infoi on them. They are a Spanish breed that is contrary to the rule about white ear lobes that lays a white egg. they lay a very dark egg. Interesting!

6. Bard's Rock!

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:How is your birds temperament?

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mine are crosses so I can't say whether they have exactly the same temperament. They aren't flighty or hard to handle but they aren't friendly. My roo is a complete coward and not at all agressive toward me. They mostly avoid me but don't get upset if I'm doing work in the coop and don't stress too much about commotion. They got locked in for 2 days while we had workers out here clearing trees and junk right around the coop and they were not phased by it. I got my first egg from them around that time. I have an injured one inside that got it's leg grabbed by a dog. She doesn't even struggle if I pick her up or handle her but as soon as she's set down in an open area she tries to take off and would prefer to have nothing to do with me.

8. Bard's Rock!

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Ah, interesting. I have a few Marans, from a friend because they didn't fit in with his breeding program. I'm still learning about them. The rooster definitely went to Rooster U. He looks after his flock like nothing I've seen before.

Thanx Akane!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well, Harley's girl has penedesenca [​IMG] or at least she did, I'd pm her...

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by