Penedesenca Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Angelwhee, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Angelwhee

Angelwhee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    [​IMG]So, I bought 16 chicks ( 8 different breeds) from a breeder but she gave us 24 in total. When they came home I couldnt figure out which chick was which. Ive done some research and I think Ive figured out what most of them are. I read somewhere that the Penedesencas should have grey legs. I think these are probably them (pic) but I also bought Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Welsummers which look really alike. I read that the Welsummers and Wyandottes have yellow legs. The only thing is out of the three chicks...the one on the right has feathered legs. Any fellow Penedenseca owners out there that can help me?

2. Look like wellies to me. The one on the right is a fault. Wells can have on rare occasion a small line of feathering down the leg....but it is considered a fault. If you had a picture of the backs, I can tell you for certain.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    None of those are welsummers. They all look to be Penedesenca chicks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. Angelwhee

Apr 3, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Thank you Happy Chooks! That's what I thought but wanted to confirm. I'm slowly learning about the chicks everyday! Now I just have to wait and see if any turn out to be Roos.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Do the chicks on the left and center in the pic have beards/muffs?

6. Angelwhee

Apr 3, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Actually yes the one in the center has puffy cheeks. Are you thinking Araucana? We didn't order any but we did get extra chicks so maybe they gave us one?

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Most likely they are Easter Eggers, unless where you got the from raises purebred Ameraucanas. Definitely not Araucanas. Hatcheries sell what they claim are Ameraucana or Araucana but they are actually Easter Eggers. True Ameraucanas and Araucanas come in specific colors with slate colored legs and lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers can be any color, typically have a beard/muffs and willow or green legs, and lay just about any color of egg.

8. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    do you have any updated pic's?

9. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    here are my crele's
    3 hens and a rooster[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by