penedesenca

chickcrazy24

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
I am looking into getting 4 penedesenca chicks in the spring but have read they can be not as social and a bit high maintenance? I am still interested because of there egg color but I have a pretty relaxed flock of 21 hens right now ( cream legbar, black copper mauran, EEs, salmon faverolles, RRDs, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Blue Ameraucana and langsham. Does anyone have experience with the penadensca breed? Thanks

I have one pendesenca that I got last April and raise her from day one, she is very aloof, she lays darker brown eggs but not as dark as my FBCMs nor my welsumer. She’s a beautiful bird though.

I have one Partridge Penedesenca. I thought I'd bought 4 from a straight run but I must have been in a chick buying frenzy and only bought two because one turned out to be a roo and I no longer have that one. None of the others are Penedesencas so maybe it's early onset Alzheimer's because I swear I bought four!

Anyway, the one I have is very aloof. She keeps her distance from me and doesn't seem to be very flock orientated. She tends to just do her own thing and not pay much attention to what the others are up to. She's not aggressive at all, just aloof and suspicious.

Apparently they are fairly rare from what I've read. Mine does lay beautiful deep coppery eggs; a bit deeper in color than my welsummers.

Here's a link that might help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-penedesenca.1140342/

I don't think I personally would buy them again only because she is so aloof and I can tell that if I had to actually catch her for any reason, we'd probably both be traumatized! Maybe it's just her personality but I have read they tend to do their own thing.

I have one Partridge Penedesenca. I thought I'd bought 4 from a straight run but I must have been in a chick buying frenzy and only bought two because one turned out to be a roo and I no longer have that one. None of the others are Penedesencas so maybe it's early onset Alzheimer's because I swear I bought four!

Anyway, the one I have is very aloof. She keeps her distance from me and doesn't seem to be very flock orientated. She tends to just do her own thing and not pay much attention to what the others are up to. She's not aggressive at all, just aloof and suspicious.

Apparently they are fairly rare from what I've read. Mine does lay beautiful deep coppery eggs; a bit deeper in color than my welsummers.

Here's a link that might help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-penedesenca.1140342/

I don't think I personally would buy them again only because she is so aloof and I can tell that if I had to actually catch her for any reason, we'd probably both be traumatized! Maybe it's just her personality but I have read they tend to do their own thing.
Where did you buy them from?

I have and am trying to maintain a small flock of Partridge Penedesencas. There used to be some breeders on here, and on the Facebook Spanish Chickens list. I have tried to contact some of them however, with no luck. My flock came from three different sources.. three hens from a local chicken "dealer", 7 from My Pet Chicken, and last year I found a shipment from a hatchery at a local feed store. I am culling the ones with the wrong color of legs and am hoping I can build a better flock by doing so. I welcome any input and conversations with other people who are also trying to keep this breed alive in the USA or abroad.

I have and am trying to maintain a small flock of Partridge Penedesencas. There used to be some breeders on here, and on the Facebook Spanish Chickens list. I have tried to contact some of them however, with no luck. My flock came from three different sources.. three hens from a local chicken "dealer", 7 from My Pet Chicken, and last year I found a shipment from a hatchery at a local feed store. I am culling the ones with the wrong color of legs and am hoping I can build a better flock by doing so. I welcome any input and conversations with other people who are also trying to keep this breed alive in the USA or abroad.
I have recently been looking into the breed. I'm in Arizona and the heat tolerance is a big plus. I haven't had luck finding anyone raising them locally.

Back
Top Bottom