Penedsenca?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emmapal, Mar 18, 2013.

1. emmapal

emmapal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Kyle, TEXAS!
    I have 2 hens sold to me as Penedesencas, but they look like black copper hens to me, no feathers on their legs, with a bit of brown "lacing" on their wings. I have 2 other bcm hens that are all black/iridescent green with feathered legs. Researching, the partridge penedesenca looks a lot like my Wellsummer.

What is the difference of the pene hens to the black bcm and the partridge wellsummer? Makes it hard to figure out what I am looking for and what I am getting.

We are after egg color since we sell them, and a variety is appealing to buyers. I'd like the mahogany of the penes in my flock since my wellsummer and bcm hens have some dark brown already.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Go to feathersite.com it will show you what they should look like.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    penes have white earlobes

4. emmapal

Sep 30, 2012
    Kyle, TEXAS!
    Yep white earlobes on the two sold as penes and dark on the marans and welsummer. Wow they look so much like bcm! Egg color is almost indistinguishable. Oh well for maroon eggs

5. emmapal

Sep 30, 2012
    Kyle, TEXAS!
    Well one of them, the brown laced one, was our first ever mystery death on the coop floor this morning...??? :(

Our pyrenees got hold of her last week, but no apparent damage. I sprayed them all with Adams for a light case of lice yesterday. She was bottom of the pecking order and very skittish, but no obvious illness or cause of death. Maybe a very slow internal bleed from my dog?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by