Penelope sings the egg song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeeTee, Nov 14, 2008.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    For any of you who are waiting for your first egg, here is the song you are waiting to hear.

This rendition is by one of my Delaware pullets, Penelope!

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    that was great. I can hardly wait to hear my brahma do their songs for me. At least a month away I know. They will be 7 months old early dec.. Here's hopeing. jean

3. DeeTee

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Quote:I feel your anticipation! My girls were 24 weeks when the first egg came, then I had to wait 9 days for the second. Now they lay 5 to 6 per week each.

Let us know when the big day comes!

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I just loved that. I'm still smiling! I love the little quick variation on bawk-bawk near the end. Thanks so much for posting. (She's also a beautiful bird!)

5. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    My blue hens sing like that after laying. I thought it was just them. haha My RIRs don't normally call like that. Good to know its normal. Haha I thought it was from the HUGE eggs the blue's tend to lay. I'd 'book-oook' after those things! [​IMG]

6. DeeTee

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Quote:[​IMG] and how!

My wife calls it "back B'CACKing". As in, "Dave, better swing by the coop with a basket, I heard a lot of back B'CACKing earlier".

7. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Since we've just started getting eggs... when I hear that I go running!

8. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    Thanks so much for the beautiful song! I am still waiting for our first eggs from our 27 week old Golden Comets. If I hear it, I'll know to go running! [​IMG]

9. DeeTee

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Quote:Thanks! The Delawares may not be flashy, but I think they are really beautiful. They are also very very calm but with loads of personality. Laying up a storm even in November, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by