Penelope the white pekin honks ALL day long help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stephrhea, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Stephrhea

Stephrhea New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    I have a male and female pekin both 9 months old. Melvin is a good boy and is doing fantastic. However,Penelope has started honking from the time I let her out of the coop in the morning until the sun goes down. Today she stood in the run and honked for almost 4 hours straight. She has always been a noisy girl but within the past couple weeks it has gotten out of hand. She has access to a clean pool of water, food, coop, and a huge run to adventure in. I really have no idea what it bothering her. She just stands there and honks for hours! My boyfriend has about had it with her :( Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    My girls do this too. that's just girl ducks.
    They are worse when their bowl is empty.

3. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    My Pekin duck, Cracker, does this too. Well, she is a whole lot quieter when she has a full food bowl, but she makes A LOT of noise. My drake is so quiet by comparison.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If she has everything that she needs and is still making a lot of noise, she's just a talker. Pekin are known to be chatty anyway. I don't think there is really anything that you can do, sorry.

5. Stephrhea

Stephrhea New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank you for responding everyone!

6. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
  7. Deefor

Deefor New Egg

Jul 22, 2014
    I have three female Cherry valleys and they make that honking noise, it can be very aggravating because they have all they need, full bowl of food, pond, other water to paddle in, clean water to drink, wooded area, lots of shade and a cosy duck house.

8. sunnyfishy

sunnyfishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    Our new pekin female, Abigail, does this alll the time. She's the first duck I hear in the morning when I go out to their house, and she's the only duck we can hear from inside honking at everything in the universe. It's sort of hilarious really. She is truly an odd duck--sort of a rescue we got from a man who was borderline hoarding birds, and she never really got out of a pen or anything til we got her. We just like to think it's her being very happy all the time.

9. MelissaF

MelissaF Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Nashua
    My female pekin does this when someone comes into the yard or she hears a noise. There may be something around watching making her nervous. I hear pekins are the most vocal

10. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    I just got some young Pekins when I was looking for a companion to a Pekin hen I ended up with because she came with some Call ducks. I got a family of ducklings with a drake companion and then I got more ducklings from someone else so I could pair them up and keep just a few hens with the year old drake. The older ducks are 8 weeks old and the younger ones are 4 weeks old. I can't keep the older hens because they are related to the drake so the original plan was to pair the 5 drakes with unrelated hens but the straight run of 10 ducklings only gave me 4 hens so I figured I could sell the 5 drakes and keep the 4 hens with the unrelated drake and hen. I have someone who wants them and I think his plan is to eat them but I don't want to keep them for long and risk them breeding with my bantam ducks, or worse ~ my chickens.

The 8 hens that are related to my drake are so loud that I am rethinking my desire to keep Pekin hens. I thought Call ducks were loud until I brought home these Pekin hens. I want to be able to pair them with the younger drakes but I am not sure I have the patience to wait for the younger ducks to grow before I sell these hens. If I sell the 5 drakes together, I may end up selling the hens instead of making breeding pairs.

I tried Pekins years ago before I raised chocolate Muscovy ducks and now I remember how much I do not like Pekins. Part of my reason is that I am not fond of white ducks because I associate white birds with meat and the other part is how loud they are. They are large ducks with big voices and they talk to each other all the time. My single hen is so quiet and she is so happy to have the drake I got her so I want to hold onto the pair but I don't think I will keep any of the ducklings. I have even been considering butchering them myself if they don't sell fast.

Their feeder is always full and they have two pools of water. They have unlimited grass to eat with warm sunny spots and cool shady spots under the lilac bushes (which they are also eating). They wander the yard as happy as can be but they talk to each other constantly. I thought it was just the stress of moving from one home to another but it has been a week and they are still noisy. I can't help thinking of them as meat instead of pets when our Australian Spotted ducks are so much more enjoyable. I can see how people can dislike ducks if they get Pekins as pets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by