Penguin chicken? List of what I've checked so far

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justplainbatty, Feb 27, 2015.

1. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    My EE has been standing like a penguin for two days. I brought her inside last night. I did a vent exam, it felt kinda lumpy and I ran into a hard spot. her crop was full. She pooped normal. This morning her crop was empty, gave her breakfast. Can't tell from quart waterer if she is drinking. Lots of normal poop in the cage this morning. Let her loose in bathroom so she could walk around. Eating and pooping. After reading long thread on the subject, I felt her abdomen, it feels ok to me. Didn't feel large lump like an egg. Eyes are clear, she's not laying around, she stands very upright, tail towards floor but legs straight. she wears a saddle but so do two others so I don't think that's the reason. I don't hear any weird breathing except for when I took her saddle off so she could preen her pin feathers. when her head was turned all the way to reach her back, I could hear her breathe but nothing alarming. I read about peritonitis but have seen no yolk or drippy stuff from vent. She was laying just fine until this past week. She is 9 months old. I have calcium 600+d3 that I can grind and put in some water and give by syringe.Any other thoughts? thank you for any advise!

2. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
  3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG]Ok I will do that today. Here is a pic of her and her morning poop.
    She has made a mess of my bathroom! she has some blu kote on bc others were drawing blood there.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by