Penguin walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rtflanagan, Aug 10, 2014.

1. rtflanagan

rtflanagan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    I have read almost every post there is on egg-bound chickens and peritonitis. I'm not sure what is going on. Our hen is a @22 weeks old Australop. She just started walking like a penguin 3 days ago. I immediately gave her a tums w some scrambled eggs. She has been in the bath tub. I am pretty sure she is still laying. I believe every time she lays, she lays double yolkers. Which is why I thought she was egg bound. I did check her vent and didn't feel anything. She did poop afterwards. Her poop looks completely normal. I'm starting to think she has fluid build up. Is there anything I can do that I'm not doing?

She has access to crumbles all day. Oyster shells and water is changed several times a day. She gets lots of extra fruits and veggies.

Anything I can do?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    At least at this age she is unlikely to have egg matter build up from egg yolk peritonitis. Does she have a distended belly from the out side?

I know on the threads about egg bound hens they recommend really lubing up the finger and going into the vent to confirm that there is a stuck egg. I know it is not easy to do but, it helps you figure out how to proceed.

A distended mushy feeling belly could be fluid build up also known as ascites, but I don't know if that is common at her young age. Aside from more warm baths or putting her on a heating pad to relax her along with maybe another dose of calcium, I'm not sure there is much more you can do on your own.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If egg bound, the egg should be in the center of her back right below her kidneys. FWIW, I don't bathe mine, it's too stressful for them, instead I fill a bathroom with steam and let them sit in there for several hours. Mine also get calcium orally - 100mg to 200mg per 2.2 pounds. I found the pictures below helpful:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think you have mentioned in another thread that you have used liquid calcium available from the farm store. Is that absorbed more quickly by the chicken and thus better at triggering contractions to expel an egg than Tums which of course is more easily available to most people.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

6. rtflanagan

Feb 21, 2014
    Scratch'n'peck- her "belly" is full and squishy and seems to be getting worse.

I have given her tums for 3 straight days along w the bath. I am pretty sure she is laying but she isn't a regular layer yet since she just started a about 2 weeks ago.

I have checked her vent several times over the last couple days and felt nothing but poop. Am I doing it wrong? The picture looks like there are two ways to go. In and Up -egg, in and down - poop. Is that right?

I have done more with chickens in the last 2 years than I have ever done working for a pediatrician and taking care if kids. [​IMG].

I really like all my animals regardless of type and hate anything being in pain or hurting.

She is eating this morning. I keep waking up dreading going to the coop. She used to only walk intermittently like a penguin but now it's all the time. No panting or heavy breathing. I even checked her legs and back to make are there wasn't another injury.

It seems to me to be 2 possible thing now bc of her age - egg bound or ascites. ([​IMG] normally fatal in time)

7. rtflanagan

Feb 21, 2014
    Very sad. She doesn't look good at all. Her comb is very pale [​IMG]

8. rtflanagan

Feb 21, 2014
    That was a big scare That was a younger less mature hen. Phew!!

She does seem a bit better. She as walking almost normal but the longer she walked then she started waddling. She's in the bath now and I'm making her tums flavored eggs. (Yum)

9. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Aw I'm sorry she is not looking good. Darn the squishy belly does sound like ascites. I have read about draining the fluid, but that doesn't address the cause of the ascites.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're right, it's not a cure, but draining usually will make them feel better.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by