Penguin walking hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stacyrn99, Mar 12, 2017.

1. stacyrn99

stacyrn99 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    I have a one yr old hen who has not been acting right for about a week. Started w a droopy tail and has progressed to walking like a penguin. I have tried warm soaks in my bathtub with no egg results. I don't feel any egg that could be stuck. Her crop feels good from what I can tell. I don't feel any masses or bulges between her legs. She seems to be getting worse [​IMG] I am open to any suggestions of what could be going on with her

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    First welcome to the Board, sorry for your troubles. Does she lay?? (if No) Does she feel heavier than the rest? (If yes) Does her abdomen feel real enlarged? (if yes) You Might be got a Extreme egg bound hen---producing eggs/yolks but not laying them. If this is the case you can soak till the shin/feathers fall off and it will not do any good. A serious operation might save her, but I do not take chickens to the vet. Mine walked like a peguin, got where she could not get on the roost poles, but she eat good----I took her out of her miseries------Loaded with busted eggs, whole yolks, etc. I took pics afterwards.

Then, She could have what some call a water belly???

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. stacyrn99

stacyrn99 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    She hasn't been laying at least within the last week. She doesn't feel heavy I actually think she may have lost weight but she still eats and drinks good. Her abdomen isn't enlarged. She is have bowel movements but they are watery but white in appearance

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

The hens I have had that walked like that had ascites. Their abdomens were full of fluid. If yours don't feel that way, it could be what PD described. I put mine out of their misery, since the first one I had like that died on her own, anyway. I don't want to prolong their suffering.

5. stacyrn99

stacyrn99 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Im afraid that is what we are going t have to do. Bless her heart I hate to think of her suffering. It's hard because she is still eating and drinking good. [​IMG]

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You sound like you have another problem----neither of the above mentioned. If she does not have a swollen abdomen. My egg bound one weighed close twice as much as normal. Monitor her close. Good Luck

7. stacyrn99

stacyrn99 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Thanks for the good luck. Hopefully she will turn around soon

1 person likes this.
  8. stacyrn99

stacyrn99 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    She is currently living in my laundry room but the only time I see her fully relaxed and normal is early in the morning or when she is soaking in the tub

9. stacyrn99

stacyrn99 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    We had to put droopy down this morning she was just getting worse and hated to think of her suffering. Thank you guys for all the suggestions though. I think she was just too sick when she finally started to show symptoms that something was wrong

1 person likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Bummer...it stinks but necessary sometimes.
    You didn't happen to open her up...but maybe you don't have the experience with what 'good' guts look like from slaughtering meat birds??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by