1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Penicillin for bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brandibaby23, Jan 25, 2010.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Have some penicillin on hand. Pen-aqueous, Penicillin procaine, 300,000 units per ml. Can I give this to a chicken to help after bumblefoot surgery, foot not looking to good already wrapped with gauze and neosporin. Would 1/4ml be too much?? Please help!

2. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Anyone?? Please? Want to do this soon.

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    When i thought my bird had bubble foot, i was used bayer baby asprin half twice a day. I told that from the chicken doctor on line.
    oh and an antibiotic.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I have already cut the bottom of the pad and got a small piece of yellow stuff out, no puss, clearish liquid, toop of her toes are swollen but i just slightly lanced them and they bleed like crazy and I didn't want to cut in there no more so I wanna give antibiotics.

5. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    there is a great thread on here about it. let me go find it.

6. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
  7. coop's chicks

coop's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2009
    Southeastern Ontario
    I just treated a hen for bumblefoot. I cut two areas. One bulbous area on the top of her foot where a lot of clear liquid came out and a huge chunk of yellow crud, then a large cut on the bottom of her foot where more crud came out. Don't be afraid to cut where you think the infection may be. Soaking in warm water and epsom salts really loosens up everything in there. I soaked before, during and after surgery and squeezed and massaged the foot until I couldn't get anything else out but blood, then used polysporin, iodine and wrapped with vet wrap. I've actually found that cloth adhesive tape works better for their little feet. Now I just soak it daily, reapply polysporin and rebandage. It's healing really well....it was my first time and I was amazed that it didn't need antibiotics, etc.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I read some place on here that any medication, even pain killing neosporin thats contains any chemicals ending in caine are poison to chickens. Any one know of this? I would be careful about meds. But I'm new to chickens. I'm not sure. Might be worth checking out.
    Good Luck and God Bless!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can use Neosporin since the pain killer is not a "caine" product, but no need for the painkiller. That is a different type (at least on my tube it says so) Have used it very often with no problems.

I never give antibiotics anymore for bumblefoot. Had one hen who had one after the other and it never did any better than just removing the solidified and/or liquid pus, packing with antibiotic ointment and bandaging, keeping them off the ground for a few days in a cage with deep litter for cushioning, etc. Always said poor Violet should glow in the dark from all the meds she took over a 9 month period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by